Banh Khot is mini crispy shrimp pancake, popular in food stands in South Vietnam. Banh Khot is a little cousin of Banh Xeo. The batter contains rice flour, water, turmeric powder, coconut milk, salt. It tops with pork belly (optional), shrimp, diced green onion, and cooked mung bean. Banh Khot is served with Nuoc Cham and vegetable plate.
To make Banh Khot, you will need a mold that is available at big Asian super markets in the US. You can use small skillet if you do not have Banh Khot mold.
- Recipe of banh-khot from trucvy-zoe
- Recipes of banh-khot – from Tu Diem’s Corner in Vietnamese (Tieng Viet). A lot of pictures, molds, tips and more.
Batter (same batter as Banh Xeo from Enjoy Life)
3/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz cold club soda
2 tbs coconut oil
2 green onions, green part only, sliced
- Mix batter ingredients together, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- You also buy ready mixed Banh Xeo flour . Link to Online shopping from 99 Ranch Market.
- Southern traditional “Banh” Festival – (in Vietnamese), link to original pictures